Our Trans Youth Conference is over for another year!
- 2016’s conference was from 10:30am – 4:45pm on Saturday 12th November in Durham University.
- It was open to all young trans and gender variant people, and to trans youth groups.
Like all our conferences, it was free to attend.
- This year’s theme was mental health!
Films & Media
Comments by Rain
Rain Egan attended the 2016 Conference and had this to say:
The Trans Youth Conference, although it was an early start, was a day well worth the journey.
On arrival, we were given time to settle in and enjoy the fantastic venue before heading to the presentation, which set the theme for the day: self-care. After that we split off into groups and got started with the first scheduled activity, making bags full of self care tips and zines, as well as analysing what makes us happy as people. The activities were very thought-provoking and definitely tailored for youth, there were activities encouraging active discussions about trans norms, activities that gave us breaks, all activities that allowed us to socialise in a way that made us comfortable.
After lunch in the University canteen, I found a workshop regarding body positivity to be a highlight of the day, it provoked interesting discussion (among trans people themselves) about the cis narrative that trans people must dislike their bodies. I left the workshop with an all encompassing message of positivity, that however you feel about your body is valid and wonderful, and you should work to improve and love yourself no matter what stage you’re at.
The day went by in a blur but was incredibly positive. I can tell you this, the activities were very thought-provoking and definitely tailored for youth. There were activities encouraging active discussions about trans norms, activities that gave us breaks, all activities that allowed us to socialise in a way that made us comfortable. It’s a day I’ll remember fondly and hope to attend again next year.
Written by Rain Egan
Thanks for your kind words, Rain!
A report has been published of this year’s Conference and feedback from those
who came along. Many thanks to everyone who came along and participated, and hope to see you next year!
- 10:30 Registration – Tea, coffee & juice on arrival
- 11:00 Welcome and opening
- 11:15 Workshop round A – Lindisfarne Centre room 1&2, room 3&4 – Lewis / Debs
- 12:15 Workshop round B – Lindisfarne Centre room 1&2, room 3&4 – Lewis /Debs
- 13:15 Brunch in dining hall & competition
- 14:30 Workshop round C – Lindisfarne Centre room 1&2 Sam, room 3&4 Matty
- 15:30 Break
- 15:45 Workshop round D – Lindisfarne Centre room 1&2 Sam, room 3&4 Matty
- 16:45 Plenary, Shout Outs, Final Words
- 16:00 Wrap-up, shout outs, evaluations, competition
- 16:45 Post conference party/chill/walk back to train station